You read that title right. The sweet gooeyness of a cinnamon roll with the salty crunchy taste of bacon. It truly is a heavenly combination. I automatically love anything bacon in it and cinnamon rolls are for sure one of my favorite breakfast foods. So why not combine that with bacon for delicious bacon wrapped cinnamon rolls? I couldn’t think of any reason not to, so we tried it out. It very easily was a unanimous success.
Dutch ovens are amazing in so many different ways. The ability to have an oven anywhere you go is awesome. I was originally scared of dutch ovens and felt like I would never get the hang of cooking with one. But with a little bit of practiced and some not so good meals, I got it down. Now I love cooking with it. This recipe works well for a Dutch oven and takes about 26 coals, around 10 on the bottom and 16 on the top.
Once reason this recipe works so well for camping is there is not much to it, no big preparation, no cutting, mixing etc. If I don’t feel like cooking the bacon at the campsite I will cook it at home and store it in a ziploc until I need to use it. Don’t over cook the bacon and let it get crispy, you really just want to cook it for 2-3 minutes so that it can still be wrapped around the cinnamon roll.
These bacon wrapped cinnamon rolls were a huge hit on our last camping trip. There are a few different versions out there, we found this one from Mark My Territory, but they are all equally as good.
- 5 Strips of Bacon
- 1 Tube Refrigerator Big Cinnamon Roll Dough with Icing
- Heat pan and briefly fry bacon strips for 2 – 3 minutes, making sure the bacon is slightly cooked, but still soft. Remove from pan and pat with paper towel to remove excess grease.
- Unroll each individual cinnamon roll. Place bacon on strip of cinnamon roll dough and re-roll the dough back into the cinnamon roll shape.
- Spray Dutch Oven with non-stick spray or line with tin foil and spray with non-stick spray. Place all five bacon filled cinnamon rolls inside.
- Cook for 25 minutes or until cinnamon rolls are cooked through. Remove Dutch Oven from fire.
- Drizzle cinnamon rolls with icing. Serve warm.
Mark My Territory has some really good camping recipes if you’re hankering for a good meal. Check them out here.