Feed your hungry group after a long day enjoying the outdoors with this hearty, one-pot dish. While prep is quick, cook time takes about 1 hour and 20 minutes, so get it going while you set up the rest of camp! The extended time is worth it– that’s what yields a perfectly tender and seasoned dish.
Makes 6 servings.
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- 2 lbs. chuck steak, cut into cubes
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 Tbsps. tomato paste
- 2 Tbsps. all-purpose flour
- 2 cans condensed beef broth or beef stock
- Water, as needed
- 6 small potatoes, cut into cubes
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh parsley, minced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme, minced
- Place Dutch oven over fire and heat oil.
- Add beef and cook until browned on all sides, 10-15 minutes.
- Add onions and garlic and cook until onions begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Stir in tomato paste.
- Sprinkle in flour and toss meat. Slowly stir in beef broth. Add in enough water to cover meat by 1 inch.
- Cover pot and cook for about 1 hour, until the beef is almost tender.
- Stir in potatoes and carrots and the fresh herbs. Cook until all ingredients are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Season to taste with additional salt and pepper. Serve.