These flavorful and easy-to-grill smashed potatoes topped with seasonings, herbs and Parmesan cheese are a guaranteed hit. The trick to making them the perfect crispy-on-the-outside, creamy-on-the-inside is placing them in cold water before boiling, so that the skin and inside cook at the same time.
Makes 4 Servings.
- Medium saucepan
- Baking Sheet
- Potato Masher
- 16 small potatoes, 1 ½’ to 2” diameter (mix of yellow and red)
- Kosher salt
- 2 Tbsps. olive oil
- 2 Tbsps. roughly chopped fresh rosemary leaves (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Place potatoes in a medium saucepan; add cold water to cover by about an inch. Bring water to a boil and add 1 Tbsp. kosher salt. Cook potatoes until tender and easily pierced with a fork, about 15-20 minutes. Strain potatoes and let sit until cool enough to handle.
- Arrange potatoes on a baking sheet. Gently smash each potato with a potato masher until they split open, but not break apart, to about ½ inch thick.
- Brush potatoes with olive oil and season with salt, rosemary and pepper. Flip potatoes, oil again and season other side.
- Place potatoes directly on oiled grilling grate and cook until lightly brown and crisp, about 5 minutes per side.
- Transfer potatoes to a platter, sprinkle with remaining rosemary and Parmesan cheese, and serve warm.
Spice up your potatoes with your favorite garnishes and seasonings like chopped fresh thyme, finely chopped parsley, oregano, garlic salt, paprika and cayenne pepper.
Alternatively, you can cook the potatoes in a cast iron skillet instead of directly on the grilling grate.