Who wants to just stick with the traditional eggs and sausage every single morning at the campsite? There comes a point where you want to change things up, and this is the PERFECT thing to make that change. One word about this oatmeal bar: AWESOME. After all, there is bacon in it…
Most people don’t get too fancy with their morning oatmeal, maybe just some brown sugar in there. So the thought of bacon in oatmeal was a little odd, but then again, bacon is good on anything, right? Right. The cool thing about this recipe is that you can almost prepare all of the oatmeal bar items at home and just whip it out of the cooler at the campsite.
For your first Oatmeal Bar experience, we recommend bacon, egg, and maple syrup for the ultimate introduction to savory-sweet oatmeal.
- 1 cup Oatmeal, Thin Rolled or Instant
- 2 cups Almond Milk, Unsweetened (Or 2% Cow Milk)
- 3 strips of Bacon, chopped into chunks
- Bacon, cooked and chopped into bits
- Loose Breakfast Sausage, cooked
- Poached, Fried/Sunny Side Up Eggs**
- Brown Sugar or Maple Syrup
- Anything else your heart desires
- At home before your trip, make the oatmeal base. Start by cooking out the fat from 3 slices of bacon in a 1 quart saucepan on Medium. When they bacon has gone crispy, remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add raw oatmeal to the hot bacon fat, and stir to coat. Toast the oatmeal in the pan for 1-2 minutes. When it starts to smell like granola and bacon, add the Almond Milk and a big pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Then, turn down to a gentle simmer and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently. Ladle it into some tupperware and keep it in the fridge until your ready to go!
- Reheat oatmeal with extra Almond Milk (or 2%) until desired consistency is reached. This is certainly not an exact science, and if you want it a bit looser, add some more milk. You can easily prepare all of the oatmeal bar items except the eggs at home and just put them out on the table straight out of the cooler. Of course, if you’d like you can prepare them fresh.