Treat your camping companions to freshly baked banana bread and brewed coffee when they wake. This simple recipe is fail-safe and delicious every time.
Makes 12 servings.
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- In a mixing bowl, mash the bananas using a fork until smooth.
- Add egg, flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and melted butter.
- Mix until ingredients are just combined.
- Place parchment paper-lined Dutch oven on the grill grate over fire and pour the batter into Dutch oven. Cover with lid.
- Carefully place pieces of hot coal on top of lid to supply heat from top of Dutch oven.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Once done, immediately remove the Dutch oven from the fire and carefully remove hot coals from the top of the lid.
- Let the banana bread cool for a few minutes before cutting into squares or slices.