If you’re looking for a fine dining meal at your campsite, this dutch oven chicken and cashews recipe is right up your alley. I go camping a lot, therefore I try a ton of different recipes because I get sick of just a hot dog and ketchup with some potato chips.
Videos by Outdoors
I first found this recipe over at food.com, and was a little skeptical if it could be turned in to a dutch oven camping recipe, but figured I would give it a try. I really didn’t have to make to many adaptions and it turned out so well, my family was begging for more. I used around 8 coals on the bottom and 15 on the top to get a nice even temperature.
The one huge adaption I made was in preparation. I made most of this meal at home, where I knew it would be easy to chop veggies, measure ingredients and cook the chicken. Most of this recipe can be cooked in a pan at home and then transferred to a dutch oven at the campsite for an easy meal. I cooked my chicken, onions, bell pepper, celery, carrots, and cashews and put them in a container in my cooler. I also mixed together the water, vinegar, sugar, ketchup and cornstarch, blended it and added the undrained pineapple chunks. If you want to take it a step farther you can even cook the rice and put it in a container. Then all you need to do with the rice at the campsite is heat it up on a camp stove or over the grill grate on the campfire.
Having a lot prepared for this meal allowed me to put the chicken mixture and cornstarch mixture together, bring it to a boil and let it simmer in the dutch oven. It was ready to eat in no time and the dutch oven chicken and cashews were a very heart meal after a long day outdoors.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- ½ bell pepper, chopped
- 2½ lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in to chunks
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 4 stalks celery, sliced
- 1½ cups cashew halves
- ¾ cup water, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup vinegar
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 20 oz can pineapple chunks, in natural juice
- Add oil to Dutch oven or large skillet and heat to medium-high. Add onion and bell pepper; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add chicken breasts, garlic, carrots, celery and cashews. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 15 minutes, stirring often. Add ¼ cup water if needed.
- In a medium bowl, mix ½ cup water with sugar, vinegar, ketchup and cornstarch. Blend until smooth then stir in pineapple (including juice).
- Add cornstarch/pineapple mixture to chicken and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Lower heat and simmer for another 20 minutes or until chicken is done. Serve over hot rice.