When I think of cooking in a dutch oven, I instantly think of comfort food like, stroganoff and jambalaya. We use a dutch oven to cook in when we go camping and if we’re out in the cooler fall months, one of our go to meals is this easy lasagna recipe.
Videos by Outdoors
I originally found it over at Everyday Dutch Oven, but have made just a few adaptions to suit our family. This comforting meal doesn’t take very long to make and only has 7 ingredients. I tend to make the ground beef before we leave home to alleviate a step and make the process even faster when at the campsite. It can be tricky to get the hang of cooking with a dutch oven outdoors, I’d suggest using about 12 coals on the bottom and around 16-18 on the top to maintain right around the 375 degree temperature.
If you’re going camping with a group, this is such an easy lasagna recipe to throw together and feeds quite a few people. We’ve made it several times when camping with family and it has always been a hit.
- ½ lb ground beef
- ½ lb pork sausage
- 18 fresh wonton wrappers
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 8 oz. shredded Mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1 lb. 8 oz. jar spaghetti sauce
- Lightly oil or spray an 8 inch dutch oven.
- Brown sausage and hamburger over Drain well.
- Combine egg, ricotta cheese, Parmesan and browned sausage.
- Cover bottom of dutch oven with a layer of sauce. Place 6 Wonton wrappers in a layer over sauce.
- Spoon half of sausage and hamburger mixture over wrappers. Cover evenly with sauce and half of Mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat layers ending with a layer of wrappers covered with sauce.
- Bake in the dutch oven for 25-30 minutes at 375 degrees. About 10 minutes before it is done, add a handful of Mozzarella. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until cheese is brown and melted.
- Let sit for 20 minutes in dutch oven.