I like anything with bacon in it. Even desserts. You can’t go wrong making these peanut butter bacon chocolate bars. They are rich, delicious and full of bacon. I love having a dessert that can be shared with everyone while we are camping and these have always been a hit.
Videos by Outdoors
Using a dutch oven to cook desserts is easy and helps free up very limited cooking resources while you are camping. This recipe from Everyday Dutch Oven, has been made and adapted several times. But we still love them! These peanut butter bacon chocolate bars are easy to make, with only 7 ingredients. Oh and did we mention everyone will love them because there is bacon in them?!
- 1 package peanut butter cookie mix
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 heaping teaspoon creamy peanut butter
- 2 tbsp maple-flavored syrup
- 1 egg
- 12 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- ½ cup chopped peanuts
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Lightly oil or spray 12- inch dutch oven; line with parchment paper.
- In large bowl, stir together cookie mix, oil, syrup, peanut butter, and egg until soft dough forms.
- Reserve ¼ cup bacon for garnish. Stir remaining bacon and peanuts into dough.
- Press dough evenly into parchment lined dutch oven. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Sprinkle evenly with chocolate chips. Replace lid and cook for 3-5 minutes or until chocolate has melted. Immediately spread softened chocolate over bars with back of spoon.
- Sprinkle reserved ¼ cup bacon over chocolate.
- Cool for 30 minutes with lid removed before lifting from Dutch oven.
- Wait until chocolate has set, before cutting into squares.
Everyday Dutch Oven, has some really great dutch oven recipes, they truly share their passion for dutch oven cooking with the world. Click here for other great recipes.
This recipe obviously contains peanuts, so it’s not for everyone. However, there’s interesting new information about when to introduce peanuts to babies to prevent development of allergies.