This one-pot dish includes a whole roasted chicken, hearty potatoes and flavorful vegetables for a homestyle meal under the stars. Season the chicken with store-bought dry rub or make your own with our quick recipe below. Make prep easier by coating the chicken in the dry rub at home and refrigerating it 1-2 days before your camping trip. Store and transport it in a sealed container, so that it’s ready to cook camp side.
Videos by Outdoors
Makes 4 servings.
Ingredients for dry rub:
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp ground pepper
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp mustard powder
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp dried thyme
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsps paprika
Ingredients for roasted chicken and vegetables:
½ cup dry seasoning rub
1 whole chicken, around 6 lbs.
½ cup unsalted butter
1 lb baby yellow potatoes, quartered
4 large carrots, peeled and chopped
1 yellow onion, peeled and quartered
Steps for dry rub:
- Combine all ingredients.
- Coat chicken in dry rub and wrap it tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate chicken (a cooler is fine) at least one hour prior to cooking.
Steps for chicken and vegetables:
- Melt butter in hot Dutch oven and add chicken, breast side down. Sear chicken for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and set aside on a plate.
- Add potatoes, carrots and onion in the pot.
- Return chicken to pot, breast side up.
- Cover pot and carefully arrange about 16 pieces of hot coals on the lid.
- Cook for 1 – 1½ hours, rotating the lid a quarter turn every fifteen minutes, until the internal temperature of the chicken reads 165° degrees F and the drumsticks start to pull away from the breast. (You may need to add a few more hot coals to the lid after the first 45 minutes to maintain the heat.)
- Remove chicken from pot, carve, and serve with vegetables.