Slow cooking over an open fire calls for tender, braised short ribs. This one-pot dish makes a hearty dinner complete with potatoes, carrots and onions in a savory barbecue sauce.
Videos by Outdoors
Makes 6 servings
3 lbs bone-in beef short ribs
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsps oil
1 large onion, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 lbs russet potatoes, cut into bite-size chunks
1 large carrots, chopped
3 cups low-sodium beef broth
2 cups barbecue sauce
Rosemary and thyme for garnish
- Season ribs with salt and pepper.
- Add oil to hot Dutch oven. Arrange short ribs in one layer in Dutch oven, leaving room
between each and sear for several minutes on each side, allowing them to brown. Work
in batches if necessary.
- Add onion and garlic around the short ribs, cook until onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes, carrots, broth, and barbecue sauce. Cook for 1 hour.
- Cover Dutch oven with lid and carefully place hot coals on lid to supply heat from
top of pot. Cook for 1 additional hour.
- Remove Dutch oven from fire and allow ribs to rest in pot for 30 minutes before