Show off your gourmet skills with this delicious chicken-and-mushroom one-pot meal. This dish gets a flavorful kick from a touch of Dijon mustard and red pepper flakes. Serve it with pre-made biscuits or pasta.
Makes 4 servings
- 5 Tbsps. olive oil
- 2 Tbsps. plus 2 tsps. sherry vinegar
- 2 tsps. honey
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp. red-pepper flakes
- Salt and black pepper
- 1½ lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- ¾ pound cremini mushrooms, stems trimmed and thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- ½ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley or dill, roughly chopped
- In a large bowl, make a marinade by combining 2 Tbsps. oil, 2 Tbsps. vinegar, honey, mustard, red-pepper flakes and 1 tsp. salt; whisk together until smooth.
- Pat chicken dry and season with salt and pepper. Add chicken to marinade, coating it well. Set aside.
- Heat cast-iron skillet until very hot. Add onions and season with salt. Cook for 4 minutes, stirring every minute or so.
- Add mushrooms, season with salt, and stir. Cook until the mushrooms shrink and start to brown, about 4 minutes, stirring every minute or so.
- Stir in the remaining 3 Tbsps. olive oil and allow the onions to cook until they start to brown, about 2 minutes.
- Push the onions and mushrooms to the edges of the skillet, add the chicken to the center. Pour any remaining marinade over the onions and mushrooms.
- Cook for another 4 to 5 minutes with chicken in the center of skillet.
- Combine the chicken and vegetables and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes more.
- Add the remaining 2 tsps. sherry vinegar, stirring and scraping up any sauce on the bottom of the skillet. Season to taste with salt.
- Remove from the heat and garnish with parsley or dill. Serve with biscuits or Pasta.
Feeding someone who doesn’t like mushrooms? Substitute any number of alternative veggies that also go deliciously in this dish, such as yellow summer squash, zucchini, green beans or asparagus.