When I go camping, I want to relax for the weekend, experience the outdoors and eat foods that aren’t necessarily healthy for me. But that doesn’t mean I want to sacrifice taste. I am always looking for new things to make at the campsite and decided to create these ultimate camping chili cheese fries. Needless to say they were a hit with the family!
I also try to keep it simple. Make as much ahead of time as possible, to allow me to have that relaxing weekend. Foil packet meals are a godsend. These foil packet chili cheese fries are delicious and can also be made ahead of time. Just keep cold in the cooler and throw them on the grill or campfire.
Ultimate Camping Chili Cheese Fries
Author: Chelsey Janes
- 6 potatoes, sliced
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 can Hormel Chili (no beans)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup green onion, chopped
- ¼ cup jalapenos, optional
- tin foil
- Cut the potatoes lengthwise in the thin strips. Lay out a large piece of tin foil, enough to house all of the ingredients. I recommend using 2 layers of tin foil for extra security.
- Spread a little butter on the tin foil to keep everything from sticking. Put the sliced potatoes on the tin foil and cover with the can of chili, bacon and 1 cup of cheese. Top with the ¼ cup of green onions and jalapenos.
- Grab all sides of the tin foil, bring to the middle and roll the excess to seal the packet.
- When ready to cook, place on a grill or directly in the coals of the campfire. Cook for 90 minutes. Checking after 45 minutes.
Serving size: 4 Calories: 320