I was asked recently by some friends who don’t share my passion for the outdoors, Why do I camp?
Videos by Outdoors
My reply, “Nature called. I answered!”
In all seriousness, I went home – and thoughtfully put together a deeper list that I could share with them of exactly why I return to sleeping under the stars:
- Removed from ordinary life: Going camping allows you to unplug. The only fires needing to be put out are the fires you build to burn.
- Rites of passage: Pleasure is found in the transitions from non-camper to camper; from novice to confident; youth to adult.
- Curiosity: Inquisitive? Step into the circle of life and see the world from nature’s point of view. It’s quite the show!
- Pallet for all tastes: Discover your spectrum of color from golden deserts, sky blue waters, deep forest greens, purple mountain tops. Grab your brush! There are colors available to satisfy the artist in each of us.
- Bathe in moonlight: Sleep underneath a blanket of stars. A truly magnificent lightshow put on nightly, and it’s free!
- See a sunrise: An awe inspiring event great anywhere. However, extra awesome when tent camping. Nature welcoming you when you wake to the singing of birds, and trees swaying in the summer breeze as a new day begins.
- Physical activity: As Martha Stewart would say “It’s a good thing!” Hiking, swimming, canoeing, climbing etc, controls weight, reduces risk of disease, strengthens bones and muscles, improves mental health and moods. Increases chances of living a longer and happier life!
- Fresh air: Opportunities abound to breathe in clear mountain air, salty sea breezes, or the fresh scent of pine forests!
- Young at heart: S’mores and campfire stories. Need I say more?
- Tradition and habit: Much like everything else in life, some people go camping out of habit. If they grew up with a family that went camping often, it is only natural for them to continue the tradition and pass it along.
Sharing a campsite in a familiar or unfamiliar area with no outside distractions, makes for a great way for family and friends to spend time together. The relaxed environment of a campsite allows for people to let down their guard and be good to each other. Unplug and enjoy life!
I’d love to hear your thoughts on why you camp – please share them in the comments below!